Twitter Updates

April 04, 2004

Pure AIR



On Sat. Night I went to see the French duo AIR performing at NOKIA LIVE located in DFW.
The ticket price was originally $32 but a week before the show I received an email with an offer I could not resist. The email said that by calling Ticketmaster I could get the ticket for half the price, I just had to use the password "TALKIE" when talking with the sales representative. What a deal!!!. but I was not able to buy the tickets until the actual day of the show. I went online and I realized that I could not buy the tickets anymore so I freaked out... I had to pay now the full price!!! Hopeless I decided to call TCKMSTRS and had such a wonderful experience... I bought the tickets for $7.50! each. I guess the frenchies weren't doing so well at the box office.

One thing I hate about NOKIA LIVE is the parking. I had to shed $13 for 2 hours of parking. The worst part is that there is simply no option. The place is so secluded from civilization that there is no other place to park. Parking price was twice what I paid for a ticket!! SENSELESS.

The Review.

At 8pm the band from NYC Mosquitos took the stage. I never heard a word from them before. Simply put they sound like Belle & Sebastian with a heavy doses of Brazilian rhythms and a seductive voice from JuJu Stulbach, Jon Marshall Smith doing a masterful job with the keyboard and Chris Root trying to be funny with Juju and play the guitar at the same time. I really enjoyed their performance, I secretly knew that the band chose to open for AIR had to be good.

I was really surprised by them, and their web site is worth taking a look, you can listen to some of their work while visiting.

My wife (as many of them do..) does not dig the music I like. So it took a lot of effort to take her with me. The best review I got from the AIR concert is that SHE loved it!!! Trust me people...for her to say that is a lot.


The venue was not even half full (or half empty?). I have to point out that the sound was out of this world despite some glitches during Alpha Beta Gaga. I never expected the concert to be so good. They went over practically all of the new album Talkie Walkie. I was expecting more from their more experimental album 10,000 Hz Legend which I think is a pure genius work despite awful critics and fans reviews.

The concert is very simple in terms of the way they behave on stage, but there is a good deal of lights that set the mood for their music, a lot of colors a lot of movement and stroboscopic flashes that played with your brain while processing the music.

I wont comment on how good each and every rendition of their work was, but I HAVE to point out their closing La Femme d'Argent...

Forget about the original. I do not have an adjective to describe the musical achievement of it, the bass line, the jamming, all of it. I jump out of my seat at the end. I could not believe what I just experienced.

Do yourself a favor. Go catch and see JB Dunkel and Nicolas Godin playing live, thank me later.

here is the playlist.

Venus
Surfing on a Rocket
Alpha Beta Gagga
J'ai Dormi Sous L'eau
Dirty Trip/Playground Love medley
Talisman
Cherry Blossom Girl
Another Day
Remember
People In The City
Run
Kelly Watch The Stars
Radian
Biological
Sexy Boy
La Femme d'Argent

No comments: