Twitter Updates

April 23, 2004

Signs of Decadence

Yesterday my father in law arrived from Caracas for a flash visit. He kindly bought the daily newspapers so I can get a fresh look at what is being said in the print media.

To my sad surprise the two major morning papers "EL UNIVERSAL" and "EL NACIONAL" are just a handful of pages. It used to be that both had 4 separated sections with more than 70 pages each. The ones I had in my hands yesterday looked and felt like a newspaper from the province and not like the major national newspapers they used to be.

The number of pages and the quantity of the advertising is minimal. The whole newspaper is the size the classifieds section used to be.

This reality check reflects the downward spiral that the country is immerse in. Is there an end? Will the newspapers be forced to keep reducing their size?

Slowly but surely the "bonita" revolution is getting things done.

No comments: